N E W S F E E D S >>>

Caithness Field Club Bulletin
A survey by Tim Blackie and Colin Macaulay

Reference Number: SSC/28


Notes: A geographical account of Caithness dating from 1724 mentions the site of a chapel "about half a mile or less to the E. of the house of Clyth" in Latheron parish, and "a large broad stone erected on the end with many unintelligible carvings on both sides ... "(MGC p167). This would seem to indicate a possible Class 2 stone. It is possible that the Ulbster stone SSC/1O is meant here, but other accounts indicate that this latter had been at Ulbster for many generations before being removed to Thurso Castle by Sir Tollemache Sinclair. The chapel site referred to above would seem to lie at about map reference ND 2800 3620.