|N E W S F E E D S >>>|
|Wick Library Main Page|
History Of Wick Library
Libraries in Wick and Pulteneytown up to 1888
The earliest mention of a library in Wick and Pulteneytown, is upstairs in the archives in a photocopy of a snuffbox with the inscription on it. Presented by the members of Wick and Pulteneytown Library to Mr Donald Paul for his important services as Librarian. 1826.
There are several catalogues from different time periods held in the Caithness Room of the Library, starting from 1st January 1830. The first is the Catalogue of the library of the Wick and Pulteney-town Reading Club and on the second page it contains list of members for 1829.
The second catalogue is the Catalogue of The Library of the Wick and Pulteneytown Subscription Library 1843 (established March 1826). Finally, the third catalogue from 1892 is titled: Supplementary Catalogue No.2 of Wick Parish Free Public Library (established 1887).
The Wick and Pulteneytown Reading Club could have been a private group, but we cant find any further information about them.
In 1843 the Librarian for Wick and Pulteneytown Subscription Library was recorded as William Craig, Postmaster in Wick. The library occupied a room in Ashley House. In 1887 the Wick and Pulteneytown Subscription Library adopted the Free Library Act in Wick to become Wick Parish Free Public Library and their library was relocated to Union Street in 1888, to a building formerly used as the Telegraph Department of the postal services.
List of Libraries in date order:
Wick and Pulteneytown Library 1826
The Library of Wick and Pulteneytown Subscription Library established March 1826
Wick and Pulteney-town Reading Club 1829
Wick Parish Free Public Library 1887