|N E W S F E E D S >>>|
Caithness News Bulletins April 2003
Retires After 50 Years In Motor Trade
1 April 03
The business founded by the late William J Mowatt in 1919 in Alexander Place, Wick and then moving to larger premises in George Street where it remained to the present day, were agents for Ford, Standard Triumph and Esso fuel.
In 1952 William J Mowatt was joined by his sons Donald and William and his daughter Minnie in the business which also ran a taxi service, along with the agency for Hillman, Humber and Sunbeam cars (Rootes Group) and Nuffield Tractors.
For many years before the opening of the ambulance depot in Wick the Mowatt Bros. were the contractors for the ambulance service running this from their garage.
After the retirement of the late Donald Mowatt, William and his wife Brenda ran the business. After her death, William continued to serve the Caithness motorist with Peugeot cars and Shell Motor Fuels, making him one of the longest held Peugeot dealerships in the United Kingdom, as the family relationship started way back in the days of Hillman and Humber.
William is not totally severing his connections with the motoring public as he maintains a link through his interest in Elm Tree Filling Station next door in George Street. He would like to thank his many customers from Caithness and farther a field for their valued and continuing support over the last 51 years.
The premises in George street have been sold to the Caithness Tyre Company.
Petrol sales will continue there until the redevelopment of Elm Tree Filling Station.