FOOD POISONING IN LOCHABER
UPDATE STATEMENT – LOCHABER FOOD POISONING OUTBREAK
Following an oubreak control meeting today, 27 September 2001 at 3.00pm, Dr Ken Oates, Consultant in Public Health, said:
“A further 10 people have now reported symptoms of food poisoning after eating food from a Chinese restaurant in Fort William between Monday 17 and Thursday 20 September last week. This makes a total of 37 cases of suspected food poisoning, 7 of whom have now been confirmed as having Salmonella infection.Of the 6 people initially admitted to hospital, 4 have been discharged and the remaining 2 people are expected to be discharged shortly.
All of those affected, ate a meal before Thursday 20 September and we are therefore confident that at this stage the outbreak is not ongoing.
The restaurant remains closed and the Public Health Department of Highland NHS and the Highland Council’s Protective Services will continue to monitor the situation.”
UPDATE STATEMENT FOOD POISONING IN LOCHABER 26 September
Following an outbreak control meeting at 3.00pm today, 26 September 2001, Consultant in Public Health, Dr Ken Oates, made the following statement:
“There have now been 27 cases of suspected food poisoning in Lochaber, 4 of which have been confirmed as having Salmonella infection.
Most of the people showing the symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea and aching limbs had eaten food from a Chinese restaurant in Fort William between Monday 17 and Thursday 20 September last week.
Of the 6 people admitted to hospital, 2 have been discharged and 4 people remain in hospital (2 in Inverness and 2 in Fort William) and all are in a satisfactory condition.
Ongoing investigations are continuing. The restaurant remains closed and the Public Health Department of Highland NHS and The Highland Council’s Protective Services will continue to monitor the situation.”
25 September 2001
Highland Health Board consultant in Public Health issued information about a possible food poisoning outbreak today on Fort William.
24 cases of suspected food poisoning have been reported in Lochaber which has resulted in people becoming ill with symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea and aching limbs. Most of the people involved had eaten food from a Chinese restaurant in Fort William early last week between Monday 17 and Thursday 20 September 2001.
Six people have been admitted to hospital, 3 in Inverness and 3 in Fort William. One of these has now been allowed home.
Laboratory results have confirmed that 4 of the 24 cases have salmonella infection and further results are awaited.
The ongoing investigation is being co-ordinated by an Outbreak Control Team of specialist Public Health and Food Safety staff from Highland NHS Board and Highland Council Protective Services. The restaurant owners are co-operating fully with the Outbreak Control Team and the premises have been voluntarily closed until further notice.
Dr Ken Oates, Consultant in Public Health for Highland NHS Board and Chairman of the Outbreak Control Team said:
“We are working closely with Highland Council Protective Services to fully investigate these cases. The usual incubation period of Salmonella is 12-36 hours, so we think that the worst of this outbreak is already over. We are grateful to the restaurant owners for their co-operation.”