N E W S F E E D S >>>

A Thurso Walk An easy walk round Thurso

Thurso Main Page   Walks In Caithness Geography

A THURSO WALK

Situated in a sheltered bay lies Thurso the most northerly town in Britain. The old fishing village gives way to a mixture of 18th century houses and gradually into more modern buildings.

A short stroll around this part of Thurso will give the walker a glimpse of life over the last three hundred years. About one and a quarter miles long its fairly easy to do.

Starting in the riverside car park beside the Tourist Board office turn left into St Georgeís Street and go up the hill(not steep) and go past the unusual spire of the Episcopal Church. Continue towards Sir Johnís Square.

Turn right into Traill Street showing some of the traditional Caithness flagstones for which the county was once world famous. The street is named after James Traill who was the person who established the 19th century flagstone quarrying industry by which Thurso and the nearby port of Scrabster made much of its income. The Royal Hotel in earlier days was the end of the line for stagecoaches. On the corner of Manson Lane have look at Meadow Well with its strange conical roof once the townís only water supply.

Proceed on into Rotterdam Street, a reminder of the towns far reaching trade. At the corner of Wilson Street lies the Thurso heritage Museum. This museum has a variety of local artifacts including several Pictish stones emblazoned with the typical but fascinating carvings of the period. At the bottom of Wilson street turn left and cross Couper Square the HQ of the Boys Brigade whose founder came from Thurso. Move on through the archway to Fisher Biggins (Buildings) into the original fishermanís village and note how closely the houses are built.

Turn right into Wilsonís Lane and move towards the ruins of Old St.Peters Kirk established in 1220. Follow the arch in the church wall and go left between concrete posts passing next the enclosed houses with slate roofs to come out at the harbour. See to the right across the river the ghostly outline of The old Thurso Castle.

Carry on to the Esplanade for 50 meters and using the stone walled steps and path to High Street.  Opposite the museum turn right along the alley past the car park along by the playground.  By the bank cross the road and continue along Campbell street.

Turn to your left past the back of the church past Sir John's Square showing its statue of Sir John Sinclair who put together the first statistical record of Scotland in 1770.   At the bottom of the square turn right and go along Sinclair street, then left along Davidson's Lane.  Go across Janet street into the park and walk along the path on the left.  Cross over the road to the car park.