N E W S F E E D S >>>

 

 

Links & Information

ROC Posts
Royal Observer Corps and related sites

ROC Posts By Paul Stokes
ROC Posts North Of Scotland
Notes by Nick Catford - pictures on this site by Bill Fernie .
DUNNET HEAD 
Access to the radar buildings most of which are open. the site has an operations block, the 
largest building on the site, the stand-by set house and the transformer house and three smaller buildings. 
An aerial photograph of the site http://www.caithness.org/atoz/aerialviews/coastal/photogallery/photos.htm?2?2
The ROC post is just visible as two small dots to the right of the viewing area on the left hand side of the picture.
The radar station is described as 'caretaking' by the end of the war with its future also described as 'caretaking'. 
The station had two radars, a 10cm AMES Type 30 (A CD1 Mk3 issued only to Admiralty stations) 
and a Type 57 (AMES 14 Mk2 [T]).
Burifa Hill
Navigational Radar Site at Burifa Hill, half a mile to the south of Dunnet Head. Large scale maps of the area show 
there are still a number of buildings on the site. This was GEE site with is a parabolic navigation system which was
master of the northern chain together with a monitor.  A LORAN long wave navigation radar was also on site.
The station was still operational at the end of the war. (PRO References LORAN: AIR29/167, whole site AIR25/686).
DUNCANSBY HEAD
Name: BARROCK
OS Grid Ref: ND20527645
Date opened: November 1959
Date closed: September 1991
Location: By a viewing area on Dunnet Hill a few yards to the west of the trig. Station.

Description: LOCKED All surface features remain intact with the green paint 
in fair condition with a little flaking. The louvers on the ventilation
shaft are missing. The hatch is locked and when visited in 2000 could be
opened with a Scottish 'T' bar key. A metal dome on the ventilation shaft
and three guying points indicates this was a master post. Internally the
post is in good condition with numerous items remaining including table,
shelf, cupboard, battery box, siren box, dome key, various posters, cluster
map, BT connection boxes, eye wash, toilet rolls, kitchen utensils, 2
kettles, Jerry can, bench, wiring and hatch locking bar. The locking
mechanism is now seized and the hatch can no longer be opened.
Remaining surface buildings: A number of buildings stand to the east of the
post. These are from a WW2 chain home low radar station and comprise the
operations block, stand-by set house, transformer building and a number of
smaller buildings.
Date of visit: 24.6.2003
Name: DUNBEATH
OS Grid Ref: ND12412364
Date opened: September 1959
Date closed: September 1991
Location: On a mound north west of a lay bye which was part of the original
alignment of the A9. Within a large irregularly shaped compound comprising
traditional field boundaries.
Description: LOCKED Some compound fencing survives. All surface features
remain intact with some flaking of the green paint. A dome on the
ventilation shaft and guying points indicates this was a master post.  The
hatch has no padlocks but is locked internally; it can be opened with a
Scottish 'T' bar key. Internally much remains including folding table, shelf
(both with strengthened legs), cupboard, net, rope, battery box, waste bin,
large splint, wall shelf (detached), two brooms, visitors log, coax cable
for radio, BT junction boxes/wiring, BPI baffle plates, base of aircraft
chart mount, dome key, mirror, a few papers, two waste bind, wiring, washing
bowl, cleaning materials, cutlery, and a saucepan. The post is due to be
sold in 2002
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 20.07.2001 & 21.4.2003
Name: HALKIRK
OS Grid Ref: ND13255770
Date opened: June 1961
Date closed: October 1968
Location: 75 yards west of an un-named minor road
Description: DEMOLISHED A raised plateau marks the spot. The only other
evidence is two reinforcing rods sticking out of the ground.
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 20.07.2001
Name: LATHERON
OS Grid Ref: ND20333342
Date opened: September 1959
Date closed: September 1991
Location: On a high moundIn a square compound 40 yards east of the A99, the
Clan Gunn Museum and a cemetery lie to the south.
Description: LOCKED All surface features remain intact with some flaking of
the  green paint. One of the ventilation louvers is damaged. The hatch is
locked.
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 20.07.2001
Name: WATTEN
OS Grid Ref: ND24775423
Date opened: September 1959
Date closed: September 1991
Location: On a low mound in a square compound on the west side of an
un-named minor road immediately north of a house
Description: LOCKED All surface features remain intact; unusually there are
three small steps at right angles to the access shaft. There is some flaking
of the green paint and the hatch is locked with its original bar.
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 20.07.2001
Name: WICK
OS Grid Ref: ND36525396
Date opened: September 1959
Date closed: October 1968
Location: On a small mound on the north side of Wick Airport within the
perimeter fence. A few yards to the north of the perimeter track.
Description: OPEN All surface features remain intact with the ventilation
louvres missing on the main ventilation shaft and the hatch frame detached.
The hatch is welded to the frame. The louvers on the secondary ventilation
shaft are still in place. The FSM pipe has rusted through. Internally the
post has been stripped with only the fuse box and some wiring remaining and
a little water on the floor. When visited in 2000 it contained a canvas
chair, cupboard, 3 Jerry cans, folding table; these items are now broken and
lying in the undergrowth around the post. In the past the post has been used
by airport fire service staff for training purposes. During an exercise it
was filled with high-density foam and firemen had to locate and remove
objects while in their protective suits. It is no longer used for this
purpose on health and safety grounds.
Remaining surface buildings: Much of interest remains around this old
military airfield including 2 of the 4 original hangers, original control
tower, hardened buildings and a Pickett-Hamilton Fort which, until recently,
was still working. It now stands alongside the main runway with the
hand-cranked pump beside it.
Date of visit: 24.6.2003
JOHN O'GROATS
OS Grid Ref: ND40557325
Date opened: September 1959
Date closed: September 1991
Location: In a large square compound beside trig. Station. On the south side of the car park at Duncansby Head.  
Description: OPEN All surface features remain intact with the light green paint flaking badly. The hatch has been forced at 
the hinge pins and opened the wrong way. The supporting framework for the counterbalance weight is
badly bent out of shape and the hatch can't be closed.  Internally it is in good condition with much remaining including table, 
shelf, cupboard, rope, battery fuse box, battery box, tool rack, toilet rolls, clip board, visitors log, BT junction boxes/wiring, 
eye wash, list of posts, 2 boxes of printing out paper, 1 box of photographic paper, kitchen utensils, small portable
solid fuel stove, mess tins, spare lights, thermometer, rubber gloves, Wellington boots, mirror and various posters.
Remaining surface buildings: In an adjacent compound there is a small dilapidated shack with half of the structure 
completely missing. This was the post hut. Nearby there are a number of guying points for a mast but this
probably had nothing to do with the post. There are also several batteries of the type normally found in underground posts.
WICK
OS Grid Ref: ND36525396
Date opened: September 1959
Date closed: October 1968
Location: On a small mound on the north side of Wick Airport within the perimeter fence. A few yards to the north of the 
perimeter track.  
Description: OPEN All surface features remain intact with the ventilation louvres missing on the main ventilation shaft and the 
hatch frame detached.  The hatch is welded to the frame. The louvers on the secondary ventilation
shaft are still in place. The FSM pipe has rusted through. Internally the post has been stripped with only the fuse box and some 
wiring remaining and a little water on the floor. When visited in 2000 it contained a canvas chair, cupboard, 3 Jerry cans, 
folding table;  these items are now broken and lying in the undergrowth around the post. In the past the post has been used
by airport fire service staff for training purposes. During an exercise it was filled with high-density foam and 
firemen had to locate and remove objects while in their protective suits. It is no longer used for this purpose on health and 
safety grounds.  Remaining surface buildings: Much of interest remains around this old military airfield including 2 of the 4 
original hangers, original control tower, hardened buildings and a Pickett-Hamilton Fort which, until recently, was still working. 
It now stands alongside the main runway with the
hand-cranked pump beside it.
WATTEN
No details
SUTHERLAND
Name: DORNOCH
OS Grid Ref: NH816921
Date opened: December 1959
Date closed: October 1968
Location: The post was probably located on sand dunes on the south side of the caravans at "Grannie's Heilan' Hame" 
Haven holiday park at Embo.
Description: DEMOLISHED No trace of anything. Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 24.6.2003
DURNESS
OS Grid Ref: ND39426775
Date opened: November 1959
Date closed: September 1991
Location: In a compound on the south side of Balnakeil Craft Centre which occupies the domestic camp for the rotor radar station 
at Faraid Head.
Description: LOCKED All surface features remain intact with the green paint in good condition. The hatch is locked and secured 
with a chain.  The current owner uses it for storage.
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 25.6.2003
ELPHIN
OS Grid Ref: NC21711188
Date opened: August 1962
Date closed: September 1991
Location: On a low mound in a rectangular compound on the east side of an un-named minor road and the north side of the 
access road to Glacbain  (house).
Description: LOCKED All surface features remain intact but the apron around the access shaft is cracked.  
There is a double step up to the access shaft.
The concrete base of the FSM pipe and the steps into the compound are inscribed with initials. 
The green paint is flaking and the hatch, which is locked, is rusting badly.
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 25.6.2003
KINBRACE
OS Grid Ref: NC85593117
Date opened: November 1959
Date closed: September 1991
Location: On a low mound in a large square compound on the south side of the B871.
Description: LOCKED All surface features remain intact with the light blue/green paint flaking badly. 
Unusually the concrete apron around the access shaft is also painted. There is some soil erosion around both shafts.
There is a small lined pit nearby which would have been a buried fuel store for two Jerry cans. The hatch is locked. 
There is a small lay by next to the post.
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 24.6.2003
LAIRG
OS Grid Ref: NC583060
Date opened: December 1959
Date closed: September 1991
Location: On a low hill south west of the junction between A836 & A839.
Description: DEMOLISHED The only possible evidence is a set of steps cut into the hillside leading up to an uncultivated 
corner of a field.  There is also a very wide style on a field boundary that serves no useful purpose.
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 25.6.2003
SCOURIE
OS Grid Ref: NC149448
Date opened: May 1960
Date closed: September 1991
Location: On the north side of Scourie Cemetery on a low grassed plateau near the waters edge.
Description: DEMOLISHED The only probable evidence of the post is the base of a telegraph pole.
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 25.6.2003
STOER
OS Grid Ref: NC04182752
Date opened: May 1960
Date closed: September 1991
Location: In the north east corner of a campsite.
Description: LOCKED The post is situated on sand dunes and is slowly being covered by the shifting sands. 
The BPI pipe is already completely covered and the sand is a few inched below the level of the ventilation louvers.  A metal dome, 
also partly buried, on the ventilation shaft and one aerial guying point indicates this was a master post. The step is detached and 
very little paint remains. The hatch is locked but can be opened with a Scottish
'T' bar key. Internally the post is dry but a mess. There is sand on the floor, which is also strewn with papers. 
Remaining items include the cupboard, folding table, shelf, BT junction boxes and wiring, coax aerial cable, plastic bowl and mug 
and the hatch locking bar.  
Remaining surface buildings: None
Date of visit: 25.6.2003
ROC Discussion Forum
Royal Observer Corps 1925 - 1992
Dark Places
Royal Observer Corps - A survey

The UK Nuclear Attack Warning System
Good explanations and info here

History of the UK's Nuclear Bunkers 
Get A Book About the Royal Observer Corps

See Also
Cold War

Wings Over Wick