N E W S F E E D S >>>



 Map        A to Z

Sarclet is easily reached by heading towards the coast straight down the road from the village of Thrumster which is on the main A99 road.

An amazing little cove at Sarclet hides a small harbour and an old herring curing station.
You can easily reach the small harbour by walking down the road still easily accessible down the cliff.  See the Stack and work done to build the road in the cliff side.  Very wide path and a lovely walk down.
See small blue butterflies in June and July and myriads of wild flowers.
It was Thomas Telford who made a tour of Caithness in 1790 and suggested in a report developing Sarclet as a port.  The haven was developed in 1800 by Captain Brodie a tenant of Sir John Sinclair and two years later 21 thatched houses had been built.  Sarclet was one the places to benefit from the herring fishery of the 19th century but could not cope with the larger vessels that came later.  The village declined and in recent times the old houses have been replaced with modern houses

Picture Gallery

Many new pictures added 15 October 2002 following the walk and talk by Iain Sutherland of the Wick Society who gave a great deal of interesting information that has been used as note to several of the photographs.   Captain Brodie had plans drawn up that would have created a much larger village of croft houses and the name was to have been Brodiestown.  Iain Sutherland showed the group a copy of the plans that were never completed.  The harbour that gave a safe haven for the small boats was smashed during a great storm at the same time as the breakwater built by Stevenson was washed away at Wick.  There were too many boats for the harbour  as about one third of them anchored in wick each week by rota.

Sarclet Loch has a Model Yacht Club often seen on a Saturday racing their model yachts. 
Here are some pictures from 2002 -
and 2003