N E W S F E E D S >>>

St Mary's Chapel

St Mary's Index           Churches         A-Z of Caithness Places

Historic Scotland Information Sign

St Mary's Chapel, Crosskirk was built around 1100 AD, and was probably an early religious site. This has been established since the discovery of a Pictish symbol stone, along with signs of 8th century occupation, in the nearby Broch which has since been destroyed. The chapel graveyard was still in use in 1872. The chapel survives as a roofless nave, and a chancel reconstructed in 1871 as a burial place for Gunn Family. South of the chapel is a healing well dedicated to St. Mary.

Picture - Bill Fernie