|N E W S F E E D S >>>|
Tel 01641 521418
Strathnaver Museum is located in the former parish church at Farr. Entry to the churchyard is free and an admission charge is made for the museum. The cemetery surrounding the museum has many interesting stones and of particular interest is the Farr Stone. The museum is open April - October Monday to Saturday 9.00am - 12.00pm and 2.00 - 5.00pm
The Strathnaver museum opened in 1976 after considerable effort from a committed group of locals led by historian Ian Grimble. The group had formed in the 1950's but it was only in the 1970's that financial support from local government allowed renovations to be made and the church converted into a museum.
The wide ranging collection was created through donations from the locality and continues to grow.
the late Dr Ian Grimble, was the author of many books including "the World of Rob Donn", "the Trial of Patrick Sellar" and "The Sea Wolf". He was particularly devoted to the Higlands of Scotland and took up the cause of the Gaelic culture of the north. Strathnaver Museum was bequeathed his extensive collection of books
Farr Old Parish Church is now Strathnaver Museum. The church was built on an earlier site and altered internally in 1882 when the party walls were inserted to reduce the size of the interior. Gable end forestairs served the original galleries as designed by Boag. the pulpit dated 1774 and is initialled MGM for Master George Munro, who was minister of Farr at the time and who died in 1779.
"All churches and manses in Sutherland and Easter Ross were built between 1760 and 1804, were according to the plans and were the workmanship of James Boag. These palns in almost all cases were identical; that is, for churches long narrow buildings, much resembling granaries, in which convenience and acoustics were equally ignored." - Donald Sage 'Memorabelia Domestica'
1n 1819 from the pulpit of the church, Reverend David Mackenzie was obliged to read out the eviction notices. During his ministry the 'Sutherland Clearances' at Strathnaver and other parts of the parish were carried out.
Twenty yards east of the church lies the grave of the Rev. David Mackenzie. A grey granite pediment remains, this originally supported the obelisk which is now lying on the grass.
He was vilified by some, probably unfairly, accused of having sided with the evictors against the people. Local legend has it that the obelisk would not remain upright as a result of the curses placed upon the deceased